Monday, December 26, 2011

R2I or NR2I (No R2I) dilemma? - Take this assessment and evaluate yourself ...

If you are like me or any other POI (Person of Indian origin), it is very likely that you are in the R2I dilemma and assessing yourself to do R2I or stay back where you are. 


Unfortunately, we are 'neither here not there' types since we are born in India and also have seen the Western parts, which are much more developed than countries like India. Based on my thinking before R2I and experience after R2I, I have tried to put together a simple spreadsheet that can help you decide whether you should heed to that 'internal pull' towards the home country or stay back where you are.


As I said in my earlier posts, R2I is a very individualistic experience and something that is a major factor might be a very small factor for somebody else. I have assigned weights based on my situation and have tried to come up with a fair set of 'For R2I' and 'For NR2I' factors. Add and subtract weights and factors as you see fit. Assign your priority numbers and see what you come up with. If your PRO R2I factors weight more than Pro NR2I, you should strongly consider R2I before it is too late. But, be aware - by no means, this is not a scientific approach. So, use as you see fit.  Good luck :-)


As always, appreciate your feedback in the comments area.


Here is the link to the spreadsheet. Feel free to plug in your Weight and Agree/Disagree ratings for each factor and spreadsheet will compute the final totals which you can compare:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ar31K-X0nlyBdFliSzRZUE1FRXM2LTVvc2xmRmJwQmc&hl=en_GB#gid=0

Below is how the spreadsheet looks:


For R2I factors:


For NR2I (No R2I) factors:



3 comments:

  1. Hi Mohan,
    My son will be attending 1 st grade in India in 2015 when we plan to r2i, we plan to put him in regular school , do you still suggest international school for him.I appreciate your input.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Anonymous ...
    If your kid is going to first grade, chances are that he/she will complain a bit but will adapt to the new system/set of friends quickly. They are still getting used to the environment and adapt versus the older kids, who would find it much more challenging. Also, this depends on the nature of the kids as well - some are easy going and can adopt. Some kids find it difficult to adopt to a environment, which in their eyes may seem 'sub-standard', at least to start with.
    Give it a try - if the kid is struggling to make friends or finds it tough to mingle, you can always change the next year itself. However, the longer you leave them in the same school, more difficult it is to change.
    Hope this helps ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. a good idea for a pro-con list. i myself have been debating the need of USC which is 3.5 years away.

    ReplyDelete